5 SLEEPS TO GO UNTIL CHRISTMAS 2019
jeanniejeanniejeannie.co.uk BLOG Friday 20th December 2019
- DRIVING HOME FOR CHRISTMAS PICTURE
Shine a light for Sriving Home For Christmas
- A CHRISTMAS LIST
14 Facts about Christmas Songs
- The bestselling Christmas single ever is Bing Crosby’s White Christmas, shifting over 50 million copies worldwide since 1942.
- In Britain, the best-selling festive single is Band Aid’s 1984 track, Do They Know It’s Christmas?, which sold 3.5million copies. Wham! is next in the same year with Last Christmas, selling 1.4million.
- Royalties from Last Christmas are estimated at around £300,000 per year. The first year’s royalties were given to Band Aid, and since 2012, George Michael had donated ALL his royalties from the song to charity.
- The video of Last Christmas was the last time George Michael was filmed without a beard.
- The Beatles hold the record for most Christmas number 1 singles with FOUR, topping the charts in 1963, 64, 65 and 67. Cliff Richard (1960, 1988 and 1990) and The Spice Girls (1996, 1997 and 1998) have three each. – Source
- Paul McCartney earns £250,000 a year off his Christmas song, which is widely regarded as the worst song he ever recorded. – Source
- Who earns the most royalties from their Christmas songs? Well, Mariah Carey makes about £375,000 per year from All I Want For Christmas and the Pogues make about £400,000 from Fairytale of New York. But top of the tree are Slade, who are reckoned to earn £500,000 per year from Merry Christmas Everybody,
- Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen is the only record to get the UK Christmas Singles Chart Number One twice, once in 1975 and again in 1991. “Do They Know It’s Christmas” was number 1 three times (1984, 1989 and 2004), but technically it was by different groups, so doesn’t count.
- Irving Berlin hated Elvis Presley’s version of “White Christmas” so much that he tried to prevent radio stations from playing Presley’s cover.
- David Bowie hated the choice of “Little Drummer Boy” as the song he was to sing with Bing Crosby on his A Merrie Olde Christmas in September 1977, but luckily the producers/songwriters for the program – Buz Kohan, Larry Grossman and Ian Fraser – quickly decided to compose the counterpart lyrics and a new bridge for Bowie to sing alongside Crosby. They found the nearest piano and banged out “Peace on Earth” in about an hour, and saved the day.
- Mel Tormé’s “The Christmas Song” (more commonly known as “Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire”) was written during a summer heatwave in 1944.
- Singer Brenda Lee recorded the original version of “Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree” when she was only 13 years old.
- The first song ever broadcast was a Christmas Carol. On Christmas Eve, 1906, the Canadian inventor Reginald Fessenden (1866-1932) played “O Holy Night” on the violin and sang the final verse while broadcasting from his Brant Rock radio tower in Massachusetts.
- In a survey carried out in the UK in 2016, Silent Night was voted as the nation’s favourite Christmas carol. O Holy Night was second, which has been sung by Mariah Carey, Cher and Big Crosby, and held the number one spot from 2003 to 2013. Hark The Herald Angels Sing was third.
- CHRISTMAS WORDS
The First Christmas
The first Christmas celebrated in Britain is thought to have been in York in 521AD.
- A LINE OR TWO FROM THE SONG “I’M DRIVING HOME FOR CHRISTMAS”
With a thousand memories
I take look at the driver next to me
- NICE LITTLE CHRISTMAS NUMBER
96 On the internet, IMDB lists 202 various A Christmas Carol film adaptations, including films with non-traditional stories
97 364 – The total number of gifts listed in “The 12 days of Christmas”
98 15 – The average age of a Christmas tree when it is sold
99 31 Hours: Santa only works one day a year – although his working ‘day’ owing to different time zones and rotation of the earth, is actually about 31 hours long. By comparison, an engineer working a 40 hour week with five weeks holiday entitlement, can hope to rack up 1880 hours of work a year – some 60 times more than that worked by Santa.
100 90 per cent: the proportion of British families who put up a Christmas tree
- CHRISTMAS TRACK OF THE DAY
- 05 - Rockin Around The Christmas Tree Brenda Lee 2:06
- A MERRY CHRISTMAS SHORT FILM OR VIDEO
- CHRISTMAS COMPILATION ALBUM
WOGL Oldies 98.1FM – Ultimate Christmas Album, Volume 3
- The Christmas Song – Nat King Cole
- All Alone On Christmas – Darlene Love
- I’ll Be Home For Christmas – Larry Chance & The Earls
- Santa Claus Is Coming To Town – Bobby Vinton
- Jingle Bells – THE SINGING DOGS
- Twinkle Twinkle Little Me – The Supremes
- Winter Wonderland – Johnny Mathis
- Sleigh Ride – The Ventures
- Home For The Holidays – Perry Como
- Christmas Vacation – Mavis Staples
- The Bell That Couldn’t Jingle – Burt Bacharach
- Feliz Navidad – Jose Feliciano
- O Holy Night – Lou Christie
- White Christmas – Bing Crosby
- It’s Christmas Everywhere – Paul Anka
- Chrissy The Christmas Mouse – Donald O’Connor & Debbie Reynolds
- Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree – Dion
- Happy Holidays – Andy Williams
- Amen – The Impressions
- We Need A Little Christmas – Percy Faith
- Santa Baby – Eartha Kitt
- All I Want For Christmas Is You – Santa’s Doo-Wop Helpers
- All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth – Spike Jones
- Christmas Time – Ray Charles
- The Night Before Christmas – Fred Waring
9. HISTORY OF RADIO TIMES CHRISTMAS COVERS
- HISTORY OF TV TIMES CHRISTMAS COVERS
- IT’S A CRACKER
How do you know Santa has been in your garden shed? You’ve got 3 extra hoes
- CHRISTMAS CARD OF THE DAY
BONUS CHRISTMAS BOOK REVIEW
2019 Phil M Robinson