BITS & PIECES
jeanniejeanniejeannie.co.uk BLOG Tuesday 9th February 2021
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
WHITE HOUSE CLEAN UP!
The bottom line. The bill for deep-cleaning the White House after President Donald Trump vacated, and before President Joe Biden moved into 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, was $500,000. Sky News
As of January, Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library has gifted a total of 152,366,795 books since inception!
MORECAMBE – THE BAY
ITV drama sends home searches soaring in ‘bargain’ seaside town.
Searches for homes on the market in Morecambe, Lancs, have surged by 71 per cent in a week, thanks to an ITV drama.
Rightmove suggested viewers of The Bay, a police drama that recently began a new series, have been browsing for properties in the seaside town where the show is set and filmed.
Searches jumped by 71 per cent between Jan 18 and 24 compared with the previous seven days – a bigger rise than anywhere else in Britain. Searches for homes to rent were up by 22 per cent.
Alongside a revamped promenade and an Eric Morecambe statue, the town’s landmarks include the Midland, an art deco hotel that featured as a location in Poirot, the ITV detective drama.
The average asking price of a home is £151,607, up 6.4 per cent in a year. Renting typically costs £612 per month.
Laura Fort, of iBay Homes, said The Bay had “put Morecambe on the map” and that the town would also benefit from the forthcoming Eden Project North.
“We’re seeing lots of people moving here from Manchester and London … you can get a real bargain and buy a four-bed house for about £150,000.”
TOP TEN OF THE DAY
The Top 10: Inversions of Well-Known Phrases
We have done a Top 10 Chiasmuses, such as “You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget”, which repeat and reverse a phrase, but these rely on the audience being familiar with the absent original.
- Trouble Over Bridgwater. Album by Half Man Half Biscuit. (From Alan Robertson. )
- “Greater love hath no man than this, than to lay down his friends for his life.” Jeremy Thorpe’s comment on Harold Macmillan’s brutal cabinet reshuffle of 1962. (Thanks to David Crosbie. )
- “Hollywood goes to Frankie.” The Acton Gazette headline when a cinema bar called Hollywood Greats became a club called Frankie’s. Thanks to Chris Condon.
- “The boy looked at Johnny, and said, ‘Don’t you know who I think I am?’” Rob Fuller is fond of The Libertines’ lyric.
- “There but for the God of Grace go I.” Roger Moore, when his stunt double Martin Grace was injured in a fight scene during the making of For Your Eyes Only. Nominated by David Crosbie.
- “The wrath of grapes.” Description of a hangover, which was the original title of Leonard Wibberley’s 1955 novel, The Mouse That Roared. Thanks to James Johns.
- Electric Landlady. Album by Kirsty MacColl, 1991, for those who got the reference to Electric Ladyland by the Jimi Hendrix Experience, 1968. Thanks to Chris Smith and Chris Condon.
- “Ah, but I was so much older then; I’m younger than that now.” Bob Dylan, “My Back Pages”. Nominated by Andrew Paterson.
- “Britannia waives the rules.” The joke dates back to 1842. See Language Log for the history. Thanks to Steven Fogel.
- Do Dice Play God? A 2019 book on the mathematics of uncertainty by Ian Stewart; thanks again to Alan Robertson.
Dorothy Parker has a number of these attributed to her, including “I’m not a writer with a drinking problem, I’m a drinker with a writing problem,” and the one about a frontal lobotomy. Alcohol is a common theme, such as “I am not so think as you drunk I am”, from JC Squire’s “Ballade of Soporific Absorption” (thanks again to James Johns).
DON’T FORGET TO LAUGH EVERYDAY
INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE FOR THE DAY
“There is no element of genius without some form of madness.”
— Leonardo DiCaprio
Happiness is…having a deep cleaned White House.
GRANDAD’S ONE LINER JOKE OF THE DAY
A woman’s mind is cleaner than a man’s: She changes it more often.
Love is…what you make it.
A time for A Bridge Over Troubled Water…A time for A Trouble Over Bridgwater.
A time for Simon & Garfunkel…A time for Half Man Half Biscuit.
9th February1900 Dwight Davis establishes a new tennis trophy, the Davis Cup.
It is amazing how on some dates very little happens in history. Today is one of them.
Yet other days are crammed with events.
LITTLE NUMBERS: SOME HORRBLE SOME NICE
jeanniejeanniejeannie.co.uk is a Feelgood Blog.
You come here to be cheered up. Over the last few weeks we have avoided showing Covid-19 statisrics for the UK as they have been depressing. But we seem to have turned the corner and the figures are looking far better and improving daily to give us so much hope. So, as an important part of cheering us all up we will show the daily improving figures.
Total Cases 3,959,784 Latest Daily New Cases 14,140
People in Hospital 29,326 Change on Day -1,212
Total deaths 112,798 New Deaths 24 Hr Period 333
Total 1st Vaccine Dose 12,294,006 Latest Daily Figure 278,988
©2021 Phil M Robinson