Chris Whitty knighted and Emma Raducanu given MBE in New Year Honours
jeanniejeanniejeannie.co.uk BLOG Wednesday 5th January 2022
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
Chris Whitty knighted and Emma Raducanu given MBE as New Year Honours
Knighthoods for Chris Whitty and medical chiefs leading UK?s Covid fight among New Year?s Honours
Some of the UK’s top scientists are on this year’s list, alongside Daniel Craig, Emma Raducanu and Kate Garraway
Health bosses leading the charge against Covid, sporting heroes and film stars are among those recognised for outstanding achievements in the New Year Honours list 2021.
England’s chief medical officer (CMO), Professor Chris Whitty, has been given a knighthood in honour of his relentless hard work during the pandemic.
Deputy CMO, Jonathan Van-Tam, and Wales’ and Scotland’s CMOs, Frank Atherton and Dr Gregor Smith, have also been made Sirs, while Northern Ireland’s CMO Dr Michael McBride was previously knighted in The Queen’s 2021 Birthday Honours.
Damehoods have been announced for UK Health Security Agency chief Dr Jenny Harries, and Dr June Raine, chief executive of the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) after a year where new variants were battled off and more than 130 million vaccinations were delivered.
The Government’s chief scientific adviser, Sir Patrick Vallance, who was originally knighted in the 2019 New Year Honours list, has been elevated to a Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath.
He said he is ‘really pleased to see so many outstanding scientists and engineers recognised in this year’s honours, including those that have been working tirelessly as part of the response to the Covid-19 pandemic’.
Nearly one in five (19%) of the honours are for Covid-related service.
The Queen also knighted former prime minister Tony Blair with the highest possible ranking.
The longest-serving Labour PM said it was an ‘immense honour’ to have been made a Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, the oldest and most senior British Order of Chivalry, to which appointments are in the Queen’s gift without advice from the Government.
Reigning US Open champion Emma Raducanu is only 19 years old, but she can add another title to the list as she becomes a Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE).
The British number one, who was voted the BBC’s Sports Personality of the Year, said she feels ‘immensely proud and grateful’.
Team GB’s Olympians and Paralympians who took gold in Tokyo have also been honoured for their stunning accomplishments – including cyclists Jason and Laura Kenny, who are believed to be the first married couple to be recognised on the same honours list.
It was at Wimbledon that Raducanu showed the British public and the tennis world what a special talent she is, reaching the fourth round with displays of poise and intelligence that belied her lack of experience. Ranked 338 at the start of the Championships, Raducanu finished the year as only the fifth British woman to make it into the world.
Laura has been made a dame after becoming the most successful British female athlete in Olympic history.
The other half of the power couple, Jason, now has a knighthood after his wins in Tokyo made him Great Britain’s most decorated Olympian.
Diver Tom Daley, who won gold in the 10m synchro, will be made an OBE, while his partner, Matty Lee, will be made an MBE.
Strictly Come Dancing star Adam Peaty has scooped an OBE, while there is an MBE for Tom Dean after both swimmers won Olympic gold.
Seven-time Paralympic champion Hannah Cockroft has been made OBE after winning two golds in wheelchair racing, as well as campaigning to encourage more disabled children to take up sports in school.
None of England’s Euro 2020 stars have been included – with the exception of assistant manager Steve Holland – after they were beaten by Italy in a nail-biting finale.
James Bond star Daniel Craig has been handed a special diplomatic honour after taking on the role of 007 in five films, including his final outing in No Time To Die.
The departing secret agent has been made a companion of the Order of St Michael and St George – which is styled CMG and was also conferred on the fictional spy in the film series and Ian Fleming’s books.
Meanwhile, Barbara Broccoli, who controls the Bond franchise with her half-brother Michael G. Wilson, will also be made a CBE.
An ‘astonished’ Joanna Lumley said she had received ‘the kindest and most beautiful present imaginable’ after being given a damehood.
Daniel Craig waved goodbye to James Bond this year – and said hello to a special diplomatic honour (Picture: EPA)
Also honoured for her service to drama, entertainment and art is Vanessa Redgrave who is set to be made a dame.
Kate Garraway has been made an MBE in the New Year Honours after documenting her husband Derek Draper’s battle with coronavirus.
Spice Girl Mel B has also been given an MBE, while Diversity member Ashley Banjo and comedian Adam Hills join her.
Former Labour MP Frank Field, now a crossbench peer, has been made a member of the Order of the Companions of Honour for his public and political service.
On the list, 15.1% of recipients are from an ethnic minority background, slightly higher than the line-up in June. Just 35.9% of recipients at CBE level and above are women.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson said: ‘These recipients have inspired and entertained us and given so much to their communities in the UK or in many cases around the world.
‘The honours are an opportunity for us to thank them, as a country, for their dedication and outstanding contribution.’
A 12-year-old boy who raised enough money for his local hospice to hire 16 additional nurses is amongst those who have been recognised by the Queen in the New Year’s honours list.
Max Woosey, from Braunton in Devon, has spent every night sleeping in a tent since March 28, 2020 to raise money for the North Devon Hospice.
His efforts, which have raised more than £575,000 so far, are being rewarded with the British Empire Medal.
Meanwhile, other veteran stars including June Brown (Dot Cotton in EastEnders) and Bill Roache (Ken Barlow in Corrie) have received OBE’s, alongside actress Cherylee Houstin who receives an MBE for services to drama and to people with disabilities.
TOP TEN OF THE DAY
Official Singles Chart Top 10
31 December 2021 – 06 January 2022
I love every track in this week’s Singles Chart it makes a brilliant tracklist:
Pos LW Title Artist
1 2 MERRY CHRISTMAS ED SHEERAN & ELTON JOHN
2 3 LAST CHRISTMAS WHAM
3 4 ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS YOU MARIAH CAREY
4 7 FAIRYTALE OF NEW YORK POGUES FT KIRSTY MACCOLL
5 9 ROCKIN’ AROUND THE CHRISTMAS TREE BRENDA LEE
6 8 MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE SHAKIN’ STEVENS
7 11 IT’S BEGINNING TO LOOK A LOT LIKE MICHAEL BUBLE
8 10 COME ON HOME FOR CHRISTMAS GEORGE EZRA
9 15 IT’S THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR ANDY WILLIAMS
10 12 DRIVING HOME FOR CHRISTMAS CHRIS REA
© The Official UK Charts Company 2022
REMEMBER: The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.
– Nicolas Chamfort
INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE FOR THE DAY
Be strong but not rude. Be kind but not weak. Be humble but not timid. Be proud but not arrogant.
Happiness is…listening to this week’s Singles Chart Top 10.
GRANDAD’S ONE LINER JOKE OF THE DAY
What lies at the bottom of the ocean and twitches? A nervous wreck!
Love is…saving her from her phobias.
A time for a Knighthood…A time for an OBE.
MUSIC, MUSIC, MUSIC!
16 incredible Official Chart Facts of 2021
From ABBA to Adele, and Tom Jones to Taylor Swift, 2021 saw some incredible chart achievements.
1.In January, Olivia Rodrigo’s Drivers License claimed the UK’s highest number of streams ever in a single day for a non-Christmas song. The track racked up 2.407m streams in 24 hours on Tuesday, January 12. Ed Sheeran’s Shape of You previously held the 24-hour record in 2017, with 2.274m streams.
- In February, British soul artist Celeste became the first female artist in five years to score a Number 1 with their debut album when Not Your Muse soared to the top spot.
- In March, after nine weeks at Number 1, Olivia Rodrigo’s Drivers License became the longest-running Number 1 debut single in the UK for 15 years, since Gnarls Barkley’s Crazy in 2006.
- In April, The Killers’ Mr Brightside logged its 260th week – exactly five years – on the Official Singles Chart Top 100.
- Also in April, Taylor Swift’s Fearless (Taylor’s Version) – the first of her re-recorded album releases – became her third Number 1 record in less than a year – the fastest accumulation of three chart-topping albums ever.
- Tom Jones reaffirmed his status as a chart icon when his album Surrounded By Time entered at Number 1 in April. At 80 years and 10 months old, he now holds the record as the oldest male artist to claim a chart-topping album in the UK.
- In May, Tion Wayne and Russ Millions scored the UK’s first Number 1 Drill single with Body. The track was boosted to the top spot thanks to remix featuring featuring Bugzy Malone, Fivio Foreign, Darkoo, Buni, ArrDee, and E1 & ZT.
- Speaking of Good 4 U, after four weeks at Number 1, the song became the longest-running Number 1 rock-influenced single in 18 years – since Evanesence’s Bring Me To Life in 2003.
- After winning the 2021 Eurovision Song Contest, Måneskin took over the singles Top 40, and in June landed two entries in the Top 10 with I Wanna Be Your Slave and Beggin’ – the first Italian act to achieve the feat in UK chart history.
- In July, Dave’s second album We’re All Alone In This Together charged to the top spot with 74,000 chart sales – the biggest opening week for a rap/hip-hop album in over a decade, since Tinie Tempah’s Disc-Overy in October 2010.
- In September, Ed Sheeran added another record to his ever-growing list of chart accolades as he became the first British male solo artist to claim a full year at Number 1 across his catalogue on the Official Singles Chart.
- October brought the return of Adele and the lead single from her 30 album, Easy On Me. The track shot to Number 1 with the biggest opening week of chart sales – 149,865.
- In November, ABBA scored the fastest-selling vinyl album of the century with their Number 1 comeback record Voyage. 29,900 of their 204,000 opening week sales were on wax.
- Later that month, Adele’s 30 arrived and posted the biggest opening week chart sales of the year – 261,000. It’s the biggest opener since Ed Sheeran’s Divide in 2017.
- Finally, in December, LadBaby set a new record, becoming the first act to score four consecutive Christmas Number 1s, overtaking Spice Girls and Beatles’.
By Rob Copsey
© The Official UK Charts Company 2022
©2022 Phil M Robinson