Lightning strike kills 11 taking selfies in India
jeanniejeanniejeannie.co.uk BLOG Wednesdayday July 2021
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
Jaipur: Lightning strike kills 11 taking selfies in India
A lightning strike killed at least 11 people and injured many more in Jaipur in northern India on Sunday.
The victims were taking selfies in the rain on top of a watch tower at the city’s 12th Century Amer Fort, a popular tourist attraction.
Twenty-seven people were on the tower and the wall of the fort when the incident happened and some reportedly jumped to the ground.
Lightning strikes kill some 2,000 Indians on average every year.
A senior police officer told the media that the most of the people among the dead at the fort’s tower were young.
Sunday alone saw nine more deaths from lightning strikes reported across Rajasthan state where Jaipur is located, according to local media reports.
The state’s chief minister, Ashok Gehlot, has announced 500,000 rupees ($6,700; £4,800) as compensation for the families of those who have died.
India’s monsoon season, which sees heavy rains, typically lasts from June to September.
The Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) has said that deaths by lightning strikes have doubled in the country since the 1960s – one of the reasons they cited was the climate crisis.
The data says that lightning incidents too have increased by 30%-40% since the early- to mid-1990s. In 2018 the southern state of Andhra Pradesh recorded 36,749 lightning strikes in just 13 hours.
Officials say they are more common in areas with thinner tree cover, leaving people vulnerable to being struck.
Safety tips when lightning strikes
Seek shelter inside a large building or a car.
Get out of wide, open spaces and away from exposed hilltops.
If you have nowhere to shelter, make yourself as small a target as possible by crouching down with your feet together, hands on knees and head tucked in.
Do not shelter beneath tall or isolated trees.
If you are on water, get to the shore and off wide, open beaches as quickly as possible.
Source: Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents
TOP TWENTY OF THE DAY
TOP TWENTY Unanswerable Questions
- What shape is the sky?
- At what point did time begin?
- Why do black lights look purple?
- Why does a round pizza come in a square box?
- What existed before the universe?
- Where does the future come from?
- Why isn’t the caps lock capitalized?
- Is karma real or just a human construct?
- Why is there no pine or apple in pineapple?
- Where do all the daylight savings hours go?
- Why does the Easter bunny carry eggs? Rabbits don’t lay eggs.
- Why is it that no matter what colour of bubble bath you use the bubble is always white?
- Why is it said that an alarm clock is going off when really it’s coming on?
- Do people who use sign language see little hands in their head when they think about what somebody said, or do they hear the words in their head?
- Why are both of Spongebob’s parents round like sea sponges while he is square like a kitchen sponge?
- Isn’t it weird that if you rearrange the word “teacher” you get “cheater”?
- Why are elderly people often called “old people” but children are never called “new people”?
- If you dig a hole through the centre of the earth, come out on the other side, and then let go, would you be falling down or floating up?
- Why doesn’t glue stick to the inside of the bottle?
- Why are dandelions considered weeds when daisies are considered flowers?
BONUS – Why does someone believe you when you say there are four billion stars, but check when you say the paint is wet?
DON’T FORGET TO LAUGH EVERYDAY
INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE FOR THE DAY
“Rule of life. If you bother to ask someone’s advice, then bother to listen to it.” – Sophie Kinsella
Happiness is…an Amazon Gift Card.
GRANDAD’S ONE LINER JOKE OF THE DAY
As I suspected, someone has been adding soil to my garden. The plot thickens.
Love is…a selfie together, as long as it is not lightning.
A time to thunder…A time to lighten.
1946 Dr Benjamin Spock’s “Common Sense Book of Baby & Child Care” published.
1988 WYHY radio offers $1M to anyone who can prove Elvis is still alive.
1973 Phil Everly storms off stage declaring an end to the Everly Brothers.
BOOK OF THE DAY
Click the picture to read more.
RETRO HIT RECORD RAMBLINGS
Reflections of a Top Hit Record
Click the picture to read more.
©2021 Phil M Robinson