Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened. — Dr. Seuss
As we resume our day to day life after the passing of my Brother in Law Derek Hodgkinson, I begin with a Top Ten of zillions of things I will remember him for:
MY TOP 20 THINGS IN REMEMBERING BROTHER IN LAW DEREK HODGKINSON
- An amazing, gentle person – simply the best!
- Wonderful brother-in-law.
- The laughs we shared together.
- Carrying out the important role of Giving away his sister ‘Our Jeannie’ at our wedding.
- Springwater Club Calverton.
- His 40+ years of an exemplary career as a brilliant HGV driver.
- A devoted husband and father.
- A very devoted son to his Mam.
- The only HGV driver in the world that took a Tupperware box of salad for breakfast and lunch in favour. of the Great English Breakfast at a greasy spoon Transport Café.
- Morecambe and Wise.
- Famously saying “I’m sweating cobs” to the vicar in the vestry at St. Patricks Church, Nuthall as we all signed the register after our wedding.
- His famously speech at our wedding reception which was: “It’s all been said!”
- Terrorising our children with “Jaws”.
- “Stands back in amazement” – catchphrase.
- Being the spit and image of Billy Fury (or was it Fury, the hoss).
- Driving a “Wonderloaf” van.
- Me and him searching for and buying my first car, a cherry red Triumph Herald 1200.
- Keen cyclist, doing 50 miles a day without problem.
- Throughout his life he was never without a car and he managed to find some amazing models.
- There is so much more I could say but the words keep slipping away. – Thankfully we have so many fond memories we can smile, nay, laugh about! Au revoir, Derek!
- Proud Mary Creedence Clearwater Revival 3:09