PIANO BUILDING CHINA
jeanniejeanniejeannie.co.uk BLOG Monday 22nd February 2021
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
Piano Building China
I really enjoy Amazing Spaces on TV but then I was stunned to find this photograph of amazing architecture on the internet recently.
Located in the Shannan district in Huainan City, China, this glazed building in the form of a violin leaning against a piano was completed in 2007.
Designed by architectural students from the Hefei University of Technology, the building is built at a scale of 50:1 and serves as a showroom for exhibiting development plans.
The transparent violin is made from clear glass panels and contains escalators and a staircase for the main piano building which accommodates two concert halls.
The piano structure is built on three concrete legs and is made from hundreds of black glass panels interspersed with clear and white glass to represent piano keys. A roof terrace is sheltered beneath a canopy shaped like the propped-open lid of a piano.
Because of its unique design, it has become a popular tourist attraction, and has been called ‘the most romantic building in China’ as newly-weds come to have their photograph taken in front of it.
TOP TEN OF THE DAY
TOP TEN Units of Measurement
- Length: London buses.
- Height: Empire State Building, Nelson’s Column or the Eiffel Tower, depending on the nationality of the reader.
- Weight: bags of sugar; elephants.
- Volume: London buses (again). Or Olympic swimming pools.
- Area: football pitches, or, for larger areas, Wales, perhaps because it is a bit squarish. Or Belgium, or, for Americans, Rhode Island.
- Beauty: if Helen of Troy’s face could launch a thousand ships, a millihelen is the beauty required to launch one ship.
- Distance. Peninkulma, Finnish: the distance a barking dog can be heard in still air (about six miles).
- Number of words. The Gettysburg Address, 282 words, is the standard unit for measuring minor legislation or regulations. A shorter measure is an old tweet (140 characters), but that has gone the way of half crowns and shillings.
- Level of political crisis. Number of media gazebos on Abingdon Green outside parliament.
- Time. Scaramuccis. Anthony Scaramucci served as the White House director of communications for 11 days, 21-31 July 2017.
Also A bucketful, A cartload, A wheelbarrow full
DON’T FORGET TO LAUGH EVERYDAY
INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE FOR THE DAY
Every day may not be good, but there is something good in every day. Look for it and focus on it.
Happiness is…living in a glass grand piano.
GRANDAD’S ONE LINER JOKE OF THE DAY
Edgar Allen Poe is about to run into a tree. What do you yell at him?
Love is…not rude.
A time to build an ordinary house…A time to build Amazing Spaces.
22nd February 1983 – The notorious Broadway flop Moose Murders opens and closes on the same night at the Eugene O’Neill Theatre.
22nd February 1956 The first football league match to be played under floodlighting took place at Portsmouth. The home side lost 2-0 to Newcastle United.
22nd February 1907 1st cabs with taxi meters begin operating in London.
22nd February 1903www.beautifulbritain.co.ukThe Cunard Liner Etruria arrived in New York with a copy of the first newspaper ever published in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. It featured news reports transmitted from Britain by wireless while the ship was at sea. Marconi, the inventor of wireless telegraphy, was one of the ship’s passengers.
LITTLE NUMBERS: SOME HORRBLE SOME NICE
jeanniejeanniejeannie.co.uk is a Feelgood Blog.
You come here to be cheered up. Over the last few weeks, we have avoided showing Covid-19 statistics for the UK as they have been depressing. But we seem to have turned the corner and the figures are looking far better and improving daily to give us so much hope. So, as an important part of cheering us all up we will show the daily improving figures.
©2021 Phil M Robinson