ROD STEWART LIVE! NOTTINGHAM
jeanniejeanniejeannie.co.uk BLOG 30th May 2019
On Tuesday 28th May 2019 we saw Rod Stewart’s Rod Stewart Live Concert at the Motorpoint Arena. He was on stage 19.30 until 21.30 and was absolutely tremendous. We have seen 100s of concerts, theatricals and shows in our lifetime but this goes straight into a joint No.1 position and that is some achievement.
You know what to expect with Rod, who always plays his biggest songs, but there are often surprises. This is ‘his biggest ever UK tour’. How many acts do that at the age of 74?
I enjoyed all the songs but the ones that stood out particularly to me were:
Maggie May, my all time favourite which ranks high in my All Time Top 10 Favourite Ever tracks, I obviously loved. Then there was the Killing of Georgie, very moving. I loved his rendition of Grace. I realised how much I enjoyed the classic Sailing, too. And finally what turned into a brand new favourite of mine even though Rod said he recorded it in two takes and with two bottles of wine on 2nd September 1972, I’d Rather Go Blind, the only song from his Faces days,
Rod, red scarf poking out of tight bullfighter’s trousers, tells us to forget Brexit, Trump and the EU because “we’re here to enjoy ourselves”.
He explained that he tore a ligament at his Cork show the other night (Saturday 25th May), “doing a dance of man of my age shouldn’t do”, then sits down for the acoustic set.
There’ll be no footballs kicked into the audience tonight, but we do get the big balloons.
Rod Stewart is always generous to his musicians, who each get solo spots, full introductions and plenty of opportunity to dance, sing or anything .
When reviewing the concert The Nottinghamshire Live reviewer concluded her review with:
“ “It was good, wasn’t it?” he says, before the curtains close a second time.
Yes, Rod, it was.”
That sums the concert up perfectly.
- Young Turks
- Hole in My Heart
- Tonight’s the Night (Gonna Be Alright)
- Forever Young
- Rhythm of My Heart (Marc Jordan cover)
- Some Guys Have All the Luck (The Persuaders cover)
- Maggie May
- The Killing of Georgie (Part I and II)
- Tonight I’m Yours (Don’t Hurt Me)
- I’d Rather Go Blind (Etta James cover)
- Rod stewart Band – Going Home: Theme from Local Hero (Mark Knopfler cover)
- Grace ([traditional] cover)
- I Don’t Want to Talk About It Crazy Horse cover)
- The First Cut Is the Deepest (Cat Stevens cover)
- You’re in My Heart (The Final Acclaim)
- Have I Told You Lately (Van Morrison cover)
- Rod Stewart Band – Teardrops (Womack & Womack cover)
- Twistin’ the Night Away (Sam Cooke cover)
- Sailing (Sutherland Brothers cover)
- Da Ya Think I’m Sexy?
- Baby Jane
- Rollin’ and Tumblin’ (Hambone Willie Newbern cover)
INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE FOR THE DAY
It’s just a bad day, not a bad life
Happiness is…a two hour Rod Stewart Concer
GRANDAD’S ONE LINER JOKE OF THE DAY
A man takes his Rottweiler to the vet. “My dog’s cross-eyed, is there anything you can do for him? “
“Well,” says the vet, “let’s have a look at him”
So he picks the dog up and examines his eyes, then checks his teeth.
Finally, he says, “I’m going to have to put him down.”
“What? Because he’s cross-eyed? ” Says the dog’s owner
“No, because he’s really heavy” Replies the vet.
Love is… more than words can say
TRACK OF THE DAY
I’d Rather Go Blind – Rod Stewart
From the Never a Dull Moment Album
Highest Chart Position: No.1 1oth September 1972
WHAT DAY IS IT?
Thursday, 30th May 2019
Water A Flower Day
©2019 Phil M Robinson & jeanniejeanniejeannie.co.uk