THE REASONS WHY I LOVE SPRING
jeanniejeanniejeannie.co.uk BLOG Sunday 20th March 2022
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
THE REASONS WHY I LOVE SPRING
Today is the Official 1st Day of Spring, unless you are the Met Office (Weather people, not the Metropolitan Police) when the 1st Day of Spring was 1st March.
To be honest I have been feeling the joys of Spring prior to this day with beautiful sunny days in one of our warmest Januarys on record and I did get my first cut of the lawns in last week and enjoyed working in the garden once more. It felt very much like Spring.
But now, Hooray!!! It really is finally officially the first day of spring. Yes, I am very happy that it is finally spring again. This is my favourite season. And here are just 17 of my 1,000s of reasons reasons that I love Spring!
- SUN IS SHINING
In fall and winter, the sun doesn’t shine a lot. And of course, it is not a certainty that the sun shines every day in spring, but the sun is shining a lot more during spring and summer. And I love that. When the sun is shining, I feel happier and I feel more motivated to do anything.
- NATURE STARTS TO GROW
Now everything starts to grow again. Everywhere I go, I see pretty flowers and the trees getting their leaves again. I love it when nature is full of colours.
- HIGHER TEMPERATURES
Winters are too cold most of the time and summers too hot. So the perfect seasons are fall and spring. It is not too hot and not too cold. It is between 15- 23 degrees most of the time. Which is perfect.
- SPENDING MORE TIME OUTSIDE
And of course, spring is a great season to start exercising outside. The best thing is that it is completely free, except for your working-out clothes and equipment obviously.
- EVERYONE IS HAPPIER
When the sun is shining everyone seems happier. I notice how people change from grumpy to happy. Of course, it helps that your body can finally get some vitamin D again. But the sun can really make people more happier…..until they find something to complain about.
- ANIMALS RETURN
Many animals either hide out during the Winter months or migrate South in search of warmer weather. When Spring arrives and temperatures become warmer, animals start to appear again! Also, in Spring food becomes plentiful for animals and many give birth – this makes for a wonderful time to see your favourite baby animals! Baby birds, baby ducks, little lambs. I just love to watch little lambs playing in the sun, in the fields. Or going for a long walk and spot little baby ducks in the rivers, streams and ponds.
- BIRDS ARE SINGING
You can’t wake up angry when you hear the birds singing beautiful songs outside. Okay, the birds wake up pretty early but just stay in your bed and listen to them. And relax. Or listen to the birds at night when the sun is going down. They are very active around that time too. This is the best way to calm yourself down and enjoy the present moment.
- SUMMER CLOTHES
Winters can be cold, which means you have to wear a lot of layers to keep yourself warm. But in spring you can wear whatever you want.
- IT IS STILL LIGHT WHEN YOU COME HOME FROM WORK and SCHOOL
Okay, it depends on when you are working but for the majority of the people, it means that they come home while the sun is still shining. In winter you leave home for work in the dark and you come home when it’s dark again. But in spring (and summer) you can sit outside with a drink in the garden and get some vitamin D.
In Spring, days get longer and nights get shorter, providing us with more hours of daylight! This is due to a change in the earth’s horizon and alignment with the sun.
- HANGING OUT AT THE PARK
I enjoy taking the grandchildren to the park in spring. Just chilling and enjoying the beautiful weather. We can sit in the park for hours, watching grandchildren play and peoplewatch.
- FRESH AIR!
With more pleasant temperatures arriving in the Spring, you can turn off the heat and open the windows in your home and in the car to enjoy the fresh air!
- VITAMIN D
With more sunlight in the Spring, the sun’s ultraviolet B rays contact our skin and provide us with more Vitamin D! This important vitamin helps bone and teeth health.
- MOODS IMPROVE
After a cold Winter where many people find themselves indoors, sunlight is the best remedy! Studies have proven that exposure to sunlight can increase the amount of serotonin in the brain which can result in people being happier. Sunlight also causes the amount melatonin in our bodies to be lower during the day and increase at night to help us sleep better!
- PLANTS AND GRASSES TURN GREEN
In most areas of the country, the Winter season is full of snow, ice, and brown vegetation. As Spring comes around, grass and plants convert the increased amount of sunlight to energy. Their chlorophyll absorbs the red and blue light and reflects the green light back to us which displays the beautiful green colour.
After spending a long Winter season in dormancy, trees ‘wake up’ from their dormant state in the Spring and display vibrant blooms of pink, purple, red, white, orange, blue, and yellow!
- Spring is also a great time to plant new trees!
- Our children love spring too. They love it because it is the best time of the year to be a kid. You’re going to go argue and say summer is, aren’t you? Read this list, and you will reconsider the status of spring:
- a) April showers bring May flowers, but first come puddles. What Peppa Pig-loving child doesn’t absolutely love puddles?
- b) Mud season makes for the best mud pies. Period.
- c) Mum’s on a spring cleaning bender, and what is that, is she headed into the kids’ rooms? Quick, get outside, before she makes us help! Start the “I don’t have to clean my room this week” happy dance.
- d) Picnics are back, and along with that, picnic food. Hot dogs covered in dirt from being dropped in the back garden!
- e) It’s still light after school. Homework? What homework? I’m going outside to play!
- f) Duck walking in rainboots. ‘Nuff said.
- g) The winter left the back garden covered in sticks, and somewhere there’s a “sword” fight begging to break out.
- h) Football games are played late into the evening, until the children really do have to come in.
- i) Soft, muddy ground–the better for falling on during a back garden game.
- j) Hooray!!! The bike gets wheeled out of the shed again!
- k) It’s finally that time of year to get out to the park or stay out more in the back garden. Yes!
- l) Culverts full of running water and junk. Oh wait, is that the tennis ball I lost two summers ago?
What do you think: does spring totally kick summer’s chlorine- and sunscreen-scented butt? What were your favourite parts of spring when you were a kid?
TOP TEN OF THE DAY
Top 75 Songs About Spring and with Spring as their Theme
- Can’t Stop the Spring The Flaming Lips
- Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most Better Midler
- The 59th Street Bridge Song Simon & Garfunkel
- I Can See Clearly Now Jimmy Cliff
- Waiting For the Sun The Doors
- There’ll Be Another Spring Frank Ifield
- It Might as Well Be Spring Frank Sinatra
- Spring Vacation The Beach Boys
- Where Did My Spring Go The Kinks
- Blue Sky Electric Light Orchestra (ELO)
- Here Comes the Sun The Beatles
- Cherry Pink And Apple Blossom White Eddie Calvert
- April In Paris Count Basie
- Spring Day – Japanese ver. BTS
- The First Days Of Spring Noah and the Whale
- The Stars in Spring Epic45
- Come Next Spring, Tony Bennett
- It May Be Winter Outside (But In My Heart It’s Spring) Love Unlimited’s
- La Primavera (which literally translates to springtime) Sash!.
- April Skies The Jesus And Mary Chain
- First Of May The Bee Gees
- I’ll Be With You In Apple Blossom Time Rosemary June
- Seven Daffodils Cherokees
- Daisies Katy Perry
- First Day of Spring Chris Brown
- Fires of Spring Chris Rea
- I Dream of Spring d. Lang
- I Got The Spring Fever Blues Ella Fitzgerald
- I’ve Got Spring Fever Little Willie John
- Late Winter, Early Spring John Denver
- Paris In The Spring Ferrante & Teicher
- So Early Early In The Spring Judy Collins
- Some Other Spring Billie Holiday
- Southland In The Springtime Indigo Girls
- Spring Serendipity Singers
- Spring Tanya Tucker
- Spring Affair Donna Summer
- Spring Again Lou Rawls
- Spring Cleaning Fats Waller
- Spring Concerto Peter Nero
- Spring Fever Elvis Presley
- Spring Fever Loretta Lynn
- Spring Haze Tori Amos
- Spring In Central Park Dave Brubeck Quartet
- Spring In Manhattan Tony Bennett
- Spring Is Here Buddy Clark
- Spring Is Here Stan Getz
- Spring Is Here Carly Simon
- Spring Love The Cover Girls
- Spring Love (Come Back To Me) Stevie B
- Spring Rain Pat Boone
- Spring Street Dar Williams
- Spring Will Be A Little Late This Year Carly Simon
- Springtime New Christy Minstrels
- Springtime Blues Sonny Boy Williamson
- Springtime In The Rockies Slim Whitman
- Springtime In The Rockies Leadbelly
- Springtime In Vienna The Tragically Hip
- Springtime Polka The Polka-Dots
- Suddenly It’s Spring Frank Sinatra
- Thanks To Spring Beth Nielsen Chapman
- Their Hearts Were Full of Spring Four Preps
- Tulips From Amsterdam Ronnie Hilton
- Wait Til Spring Jim Lauderdale
- When It’s Springtime In Alaska (It’s Forty Below) Johnny Horton
- Younger Than Springtime Ray Conniff Orchestra
- Spring Is Here Nat King Cole
- Up With the Birds Coldplay
- April Come She Will Simon & Garfunkel
- Come In With the Rain Taylor Swift
- Beautiful Day U2
- When The White Lilacs Bloom Again Billy Vaughn And His Orchestra
- April Love Pat Boone
- April Fool Matt Monro
- Silver Springs – 2004 Remaster Fleetwood Mac
REMEMBER: The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.
– Nicolas Chamfort
INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE FOR THE DAY
“Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be.” —Grandma Moses.
Happiness is…the first day of Spring.
GRANDAD’S ONE LINER JOKE OF THE DAY
Why is the letter A like a flower? Because a “b” comes after it!
Love is…enjoying the first day of Spring together.
A time for the short cold days of Winter…A time for the longer warmer days of Spring!
©2022 Phil M Robinson