WHICH BRITONS ARE YOU MOST PROUD?
jeanniejeanniejeannie.co.uk BLOG 8th July 2018
THOUGHTS FOR THE DAY
Yesterday was a proud day to be British even English I suppose as our national football team got into the semi-finals of the 2018 World Cup in Russia.
I spotted this list on MSN internet site. It is a light-hearted round-up of 30 Britons who make us proud to be British.
Actually there is only 29 and that is because most of them I agree with, but Jamie Oliver was on the list and I’ve taken him off mine. There is no way I am proud of him.
There are others that are questionable, too, such as Delia Smith, but we still sit down to a Christmas Lunch loosely based on her book.
So for me Harry Kane should replace Jamie Oliver. But there are hundreds more that should go on the list: Gareth Southgate, Peter Kay, Bruce Forsyth, Paul McCartney and of course Mr Tumble from Cbeebies.
But you will no doubt have a totally different idea for the list?
- Sir Winston Churchill
- Sir David Attenborough
- Jessica Ennis- 2012 Olympic champion
- HRH Her Majesty The Queen
- Fred Perry is the most successful British tennis player in history
- Oscar Wilde
- Comedians Morecambe and Wise were comedy gold
- Acid attack victim Katie Piper
- Aneurin Bevan is synonymous with the National Health Service
- Suffragette Emmeline Pankhurst
- Bobby Moore: Football’s finest
- Dame Maggie Smith Actress
- Actress Victoria Wood was a comedy giant
- John Lennon
- Charles Dickens
- David Bowie
- National treasure Judi Dench
- Scottish Sir Alex Ferguson Scottish is seen as one of the greatest football managers of all time
- William Shakespeare
- Sir Tim Berners-Lee created the World Wide Web
- Lord Nelson was a national hero during the Napoleonic
- Anita Roddick was the Queen of Green who started a revolution. Body Shop founder.
- Great loss: Stephen Hawking died this year
24.3 Delia Smith taught us to cook
- Ranulph Fiennes, arguably ‘the world’s greatest living explorer’
- JK Rowling is Britain’s wealthiest author today
- Artist Tracey Emin causes controversy
- Steve Redgrave’s Olympic achievements remain unbeaten
- Lord Laurence Olivier: Greatest actor who ever lived?
INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE FOR THE DAY
He said “There are only two days in the year that nothingcan be done. One is called yesterday and the other is called tomorrow, so today is the right day to love, believe, do and mostly live.” Dali Lama
Happiness is…being proud of your country
GRANDAD’S ONE LINER JOKE OF THE DAY
I woke up this morning and forgot which side the sun rises from, then it dawned on me.
Love is…domestic bliss
TRACK OF THE DAY
Sunny – (a) Bobby Hebb / (b) Georgie Fame
Highest Chart Position: No.(a) No.12 6th October 1966 (b)No.13 13th October 1966
©2018 Phil M Robinson